Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Self-promotion

Writing about myself, especially describing my own work, is noooot my favorite part of this job.  I'm way more confident and assertive than I was 5 years ago, but honestly I hope I reach a point in my career someday where I can pay someone else to do this for me.  Praise sounds better coming from someone else anyway, amirite?  Sometimes at professional events I walk around with a friend and we introduce each other to avoid bragging about (or underselling) ourselves. xD

But yeah--the exciting reason for this comic is that I've got something new coming out soon!! :D I will certainly post with a prominent link when it goes live--stay tuned.

I'm back in Paris right now after two weeks on the road.  I'll post soon about Alsace, Paris, and London, but at the moment I've gotta finish a couple of illustrations and answer about 5,000 e-mails.  THANK YOU everyone for the comments, messages, shares, and everything on the last post.  I cannot believe how that thing took off.  I really appreciated all of the first-hand personal stories and reactions -- I doubt I'll be able to respond to everyone, but please know that I read them. <3

ONE thing: please be civil to each other in the comments.  You can say what you want to me, but I don't want people bashing one another in my comment section.

Last night I got to do something fun and different -- a friend who works in a gallery here in Paris had passes to Cotélac's debut party for their collaboration with Marion Fayolle ("Cotélac x Marion Fayolle").  We got to see some of the unreleased designs and sip wine with fashionable people.

MEANWHILE IN PORTLAND:

There's a ton of fun stuff coming up in May!  If you're in the area, please take advantage of these things I wish I could do:

1.  Northwest Animation Festival (May 12-18 Portland, May 23-25 Eugene) I see Laika is offering a sneak peak at their upcoming film Boxtrolls (!!)
2.  Bridgetown Comedy Festival (May 8-11) This was SO much fun last year.  Don’t miss Janet Varney, Paul F. Tompkins, Myq Kaplan, Ron Funches, or the Picture This! show.
3.  OMSI After Dark (May 28) “Guilty Pleasures”

3 comments:

  1. Just bought animation tickets- thanks for the reminder!

    Love the friend exchange idea with intros. I've had significant others write my artist statements for me... which is often a great place to start from :)

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to do this as well. A friend would also keep me honest and out of the corner at openings, because frankly, I'd rather people just buy my work and not talk to me :D

    ReplyDelete